News summary: Slovak-Hungarian relationship has never been as good as it is today, Hungarian MFA
The Ministry of Health fears the spread of the Delta strain during a football match in Budapest. Hungarian Foreign Minister refutes allegations of a negative relationship with his Slovak counterpart.
Find the main news of the day in less than five minutes with the Friday, June 18 edition of Today in Slovakia. We hope you enjoy reading it.
Ministry fears spread of Delta variant of recent football game
Tens of thousands of fans attended the match between Hungary and Portugal in Budapest. (Source: AP / TASR)
Hundreds of Slovaks attended a soccer match between Hungary and Portugal on June 15. The Ministry of Health calls on Slovak supporters to register on eHranica upon their return.
The only requirement for travelers coming from Hungary to Slovakia at the moment is a negative Covid test result, but the ministry now fears that this is not enough and wants to offer fans free PCR tests.
The epidemic situation in Portugal, where the Delta variant of the coronavirus has spread, has forced the Slovak authorities to reassess the Slovak travel card. While people coming to Portugal this week with a negative PCR test result can completely avoid quarantine, as of Monday they are to undergo a full 14-day quarantine.
The ministry now fears that the match will speed up the importation of the Delta mutation into Slovakia.
Check out Spectacular Slovakia for weekend reading tips. This week Peter Dlhopolec writes about Slovakia’s second match for Euro 2020, Slovak Tuscany, an invading Asian mosquito and Bratislavians’ favorite walking days.
News about the coronavirus and vaccination
- The laboratories carried out on Thursday 3,794 PCR tests, of which 38 were positive. Number of hospitalized patients increased from 14 to 229. Fourteen deaths from the coronavirus have been confirmed.
- The countries of the Western Balkans have expressed an interest in the Sputnik V lots vaccines that Slovakia will not be able to use. He will submit to the government session a proposal for the sale or donation of vaccines. It is possible to register for a vaccination with Sputnik in Slovakia until June 30.
Hungary does not want to leave the EU, said Hungarian Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó in an interview with Sme Video (the intro is in Slovak, but the rest of the interview is in English with Slovak subtitles). He also insists that if the idea that there is democracy in the EU is taken seriously, it means that “everyone has the right to take part in the debate on the future of the EU” .
Szijjártó refutes claims he has negative relations with his Slovak counterpart and insists he did not help former Slovak Prime Minister Igor Matovič in exchange for less strict dual nationality legislation in Slovakia , but rather because “he had a similar approach to ours regarding vaccination.”
Photo of the day
Thousands of poppies bloom in fields across Slovakia. Read this story from our archives to find out why Slovaks and poppies have been an inseparable duo for centuries.
If you like what we do and want to support good journalism, buy our subscription online . Thank you.
In other news
- Minister of Economy Richard Sulik retired Andrej Holák from the post of vice-chairman of the board of directors of MH Management. Holák was arrested by NAKA on Thursday to be released later today, according to TV Markíza.
- According to information from TV Joj, the National Criminal Agency (NAKA) extended the initial charge in the case of Mýtnik (toll collector) to include the businessman Jozef Brhel. He would also be prosecuted for money laundering. According to a TV source, František Imrecze and businessman Michal Suchoba are also accused of money laundering (SITA).
- The Slovak armed forces have completed nearly 20 years of operation in Afghanistan following the NATO decision. Since 2002, more than 4,300 Slovak soldiers have gradually taken turns in international crisis management operations under the NATO flag or within a coalition of the willing. Slovak troops have served in Operations Enduring Freedom, ISAF and, for the past five years or so, in Operation Resolute Support.
- President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen to visit Slovakia on June 21 when Slovakia’s stimulus package is officially presented here.
- Comenius University is the only Slovak university listed in the Round University Ranking (RUR) by subject among the 300 or 400 best universities in the world. In natural sciences, the university took 288th place in the world, while it ranked 337th in technical sciences.
- Spring 2021 was one of the three coldest springs in Slovakia for the past 40 years, confirmed representatives of the Slovak Hydrometeorological Institute (SHMÚ) who assessed spring 2021 from a climatological point of view.
- Those who postponed the March deadline for tax returns have until the end of June to submit them. The financial administration reported that there are 280,000 of these taxpayers.
Do not miss Spectator.sk today
If you have any suggestions on how this news overview can be improved, you can contact us at é[email protected]
18. June 2021 at 14:39 | Nina Hrabovská Francelová